Search Indian Maps, Pincodes, Local Info and more...
Goa Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
|Location||Ponda Taluka, Northeastern Goa, India|
|Main Wildlife Found||Sambar, Indian Bison, Peacocks and many species of snake.|
|Coverage Area||8 km2|
|Temperatures||Summer (Max. 35degC Min. 25degC)|
|Winter (Max. 30degC Min. 15degC)|
|Languages||Konkani, Marathi, English, Hindi|
|Best Season||October to March|
Towards north-eastern side of the state of Goa, is a sanctuary known as Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary. This sanctuary is comparatively smaller than other sanctuaries with only eight square kilometers of area. The place is thronged by the tourists and is also used for school excursions. There are animal species of varied range in this sanctuary like Indian Peafowl, Sambar Deer, Malabar Giant Squirrel, Indian Bison and some species of reptiles as well.
The sanctuary provides the shelter to the injured animals and animals that are shelter less like injured leopards, domesticated bears from circuses etc and snakes seized from the illegal declared snake charming business. There are two elephants getting shelter and good care here and also are also used for tourist’s safari.
Bondla also has Hindu Carvings which were excavated during the construction of gardens at Bondla. These were supposedly hidden there intentionally to protect them from foreign inquisitors.
Weather And Best Time To Visit
Bondla has a typical tropical weather with summer time being hot & humid and winter months being Weather here is tropical, summer climate is hot and humid where as winters are pleasingly chilly.
Summer: Max. 35degC Min. 25degC
Winter: Max. 30degC Min. 15degC
Autumn and winter months are the best time to visit the Bondla Sanctuary in Goa.
How To Reach
- By Air:The Bondla Sanctuary has an airport situated fifty kilo meters away called Dabolim Airport. The onward journey can easily be made on hired vehicles or cabs.
- By Rail: The railway station of Margao is situated at some 35 kilo meters from the sanctuary. Regular Taxis and Buses are available from Margao to Bondla and back.
- By Road: The Pondu Taluka of Goa, where the sanctuary is located is twenty kilo meters from Mollem and fifty kilometers from Panaji. These places are well connected with all nearby towns and cities by roads.
Visitors coming to Bondla Sanctuary find desired time spending place in the magnificent gardens here. Deciduous forests and evergreen forests are two main vegetations in this sanctuary. Animals like jackals, wild boar, gaur, peacocks, toddy, deer, cat etc can be watched in the small zoo in the sanctuary.
Reptiles are also present in the water bodies of the Bondla Sanctuary. The Sanctuary has a varied range of birds which make the atmosphere cheerful with their chirping and colorful wings. The visitors can enjoy elephant ride in this sanctuary as well.
eciduous Forests and Evergreen Forests occupy most of the vegetation belt in Bondla Sanctuary. Species like Saraca Indica, terminalia crenulata, Jamba, lagerstroemia, Kindall, Giant Lianas, Bamboo Bambusa Arundinacea can be found in these vegetations. Rose plants can be found in abundance in the sanctuary.
ild Beer, Wild Boar, Leopard, Monkeys, Deer, Langur, Bison, Gaur, Pythons and Jackals are found in this place around south-east hills. Bird watch spots are present in here where birds of various species can be observed. River Rangado and River Madhel flow through the sanctuary whose banks provide abode to the birds and serpents of varied kinds. Visitors can also visit a mosque (Safa Shahouri) built in sixteenth century by Adilshah at Ponda.
olden backed woodpecker, common grey hornbill and ruby throated yellow bulbul are among hundred odd species of birds found here.
- Zoological Park: moat surrounded zoo is present in the sanctuary where lion, Sambar, panther, elephant, porcupine, deers, gaur, wild boar, sloth bear and reptiles can be seen.
- Deer Safari Park: Spotted Deers and Sambar can be seen in the vehicle safari in this park.
- Formal Gardens: Beautiful lawns with rose plants and other landscaping can be seen in the middle of the sanctuary.
- Nature Education Centre: Visitors can fulfill their knowledge quest by visiting this centre of library, movies etc.
- Birdwatch: Park Range Office can be contacted for the information regarding bird watching at Bondla Sanctuary.
- Wild animals: Sambar, Wild Boars and Sambar can be observed from watch towers placed near water sources for animals.
- Archaeological Exhibit: There are many Hindu religious exhibits present in this sanctuary as well like Gajalaxmi Goddess and others.
- Hindu Carvings: Many Hindu Carvings have been discovered at this sanctuary while the gardens were being developed. These carving depicting different aspects of the Hinduism are presumed to have been hidden there from the foreign Inquisitors.
Deer Safari Park:
ambar and Spotted Deer can be watched from close proximity from vehicle safari in this sanctuary.
Where To Stay
Visitors of this sanctuary do not have many options of stay apart from the excellent cottages and group shelters of forest department. These accommodations provide good place to stay for the tourists. However, booking has to be made in advance at Panaji’s Main Range Office.
- An entry fee of Rs. 5 and Rs. 2 for adults and children respectively.
- Timings for visiting are 9 in the morning to 5 in the evening, except the off day of Thursday.
- Visitors can take their vehicles inside at a very less charge.
- Rs. 80 per four persons gives an excellent elephant ride in the sanctuary.
Entry fee: Adult - Rs. 5, Child - Rs. 2, Bike - Rs. 10, Car - Rs. 50, Bus - Rs. 100,
Camera - Rs. 25, Video - Rs. 100