Search Indian Maps, Pincodes, Local Info and more...
West Bengal Eden Gardens Stadium
The renowned cricket ground of India, Eden Gardens cricket ground of Kolkata is home of IPL’s kolkata knight riders as well as cricket Bengal team. It is also a ground for test matches 20 twenty and one day international cricket matches. It is considered to be a biggest cricket stadium in Indian and second biggest cricket ground in the entire world. It is greatly known to be an iconic cricket ground in the county of India. The Eden Gardens are being called as cricketers’ unique answer.
This renowned cricket ground is situated in the area of BBD Bagh in the city just near to state secretariat as well as High court of Calcutta. It is believed that a cricketer’s playing education cannot be completed until he plays before the crowd full Eden Gardens. The club society of this stadium was named after the clubhouse of B.C. Roy which derived its name from B.C. Roy, the Ex chief minister of west Bengal state. At the Eden Gardens, you can see the headquarters of Bengal cricket association. This renowned play ground also hosts popular IPL matches and the popular home area for the IPL’s team Kolkata knight riders of Shah Rukh Khan, the renowned bollywood star.
Eden Gardens was set up in the year of 1864. It presently has a capacity of 90,000 people during the world cup of 2011; the stadium’s capacity went down due to the renovation of the ground. The time of world cup of 1987, the stadium’s capacity was about 1, 20,000. However, it remains the world’s third biggest cricket stadium after trailing Melbourne stadium and the stadium of ANZ of Australia. Prier to the year of 1984, both derby football and cricket matches used to play in this renowned Eden Gardens stadium. In the year of 1934, the first cricket test match held in this ground. The famous knockout matches of Hero Cup were played in the ground of Eden Gardens under electric lights. Bowlers deliver just from the end of the high court (Pavilion end), sporting floodlights etc under supervision of Probir Mukherjee, and the curator of the stadium. The ground of Eden Gardens is famous for its big as well as vociferous crowds.
How To Reach
The popular Eden Gardens is situated at BBD Bagh also known Binoy-Badal-Bagh that is sport heart of city of Kolkata. It is close by state secretariat as well as high court of the city and well connected with all parts of the state. It is well linked by roads and railway networks. The stadium can be reached by bust terminus of Babu Ghat and by using underground Metro. The railway of Eden Gardens also helps to reach this renowned cricket stadium.
Renowned Events At The Ground Of Eden Gardens
- In the year of 1948, a player Mushtaq Ali was thrown out from the Indian cricket team due to participate in an unofficial cricket test match against Australian eleventh services. The huge crowd protests against the selectors with slogans of no player Mushtaq, not test match. That is why selectors had to bring Mushtaq back in the team to play.
- Disturbance was happened at Eden Gardens while the tours of West Indies in the year of 1966/67 and Australian tours in the year of 1969/70.
- It Hosted the unforgettable 1987 world cup great final that ended with cricket team Australia defeating cricket team England only by seven little runs.
- The semi final of world cup of 1996 was played and Sri Lanka was awarded the cricket match after large crowd rioting following collapse of Indian batting line up.
- In the year of 1997, second final of Pepsi independence cricket cup, ODI and Test captains of cricket team of India were given a cap of great honor around this stadium.
- In the year of 1999, Sachin Tendulkar, the great batsman was declared run out as collided with Shoaib Akhatar of Pakistan. The stadium crowd assumed that Pakistani cricketer impeded player Sachin and disturbed the match. Finally, the police thrown out the crowd out of the stadium and match played in a crowd free stadium.
- The renowned cricketer Kapil Dev made hat trick of ODI in the year of 1991 against the cricket team of Sri Lanka in this ground.
- The great bowler Harbhajan Singh also made hat trick of bolding against Australian cricket team in the year of 2000/01 in v Gardens. Harbhajan became the very first Indian cricketer who took hat trick in the test match.
- VVS Laxman, the great batsman scored highest 281 against the cricket team of Australia in the year of 2000/01. Laxman’s score remains highest score of this ground. Cricket team of Australia badly defeated.
- The top most four highest cricket scores in Eden Gardens has in the test matches were registered by Indian scoring such as 657-7 in the year of 2001, in the year of 2010 643-6, 633-5 in the year of 1998 and in the year of 2011 631-7.
- VVS Laxman made most runs in this ground about 1041 runs after him Mohammad Azharuddin made 860 runs and player Rahul Dravid made 843 runs in the ground. Harbhajan singh took the highest wickets about 46 after him Anil kumble took 40 wickets and former cricketer Bishen Bedi took 29 wickets in this ground.
- India made the highest score in One day crickets in this ground. In the year of 2009, Indian scored 317-3. Sri Lanka made the second highest score in one day cricket in this ground. Sri Lanka made 315-6 in the year of 2009. Sri Lanka also made the third highest ODI score in this ground in the year of 1997, scored 309 with all out.
- Sachin Tendulkar scored the highest runs in this Eden Gardens, who made 496 runs. Mohammad Azharuddin made 332 runs and Sri Lankan cricketer Arvinda DeSilva made 306 runs. Kapil Dev and Anil Kumble took the highest wicket in this ground (both took 14 wickets). Javagal Srinath took eight wickets and player Ajit Agarkar took only seven wickets at this renowned ground.
- Mohammad Azharuddin as well as VVS Laxman scored five centuries at this renowned ground. Laxman scored unbeaten 176 runs.
During the world cup of 2011, the v Gardens stadium underwent huge renovation. Reconstruction has been done to meet the international stadium standard, which is established by the ICC for world cup of 2011. The Bengal cricket association retained the necessary team of hll Burt as well as VMS to remodel the stadium of Eden Gardens. After the great renovation, the stadium got a clubhouse as well as players facilities. Great upgrading of exterior walls to provide this ground a new appearance. It is renovated of presently of roof with metal skin, upgraded amenities as well as stadium infrastructure development. The ICC postponed the England VS India cricket match due to insufficient renovation of Eden Gardens. The cricket match was scheduled on February 27, 2011 and was played in M Chinnaswamy stadium of Bengaluru. The match was declared tie as both team scored 338 runs in 50 overs. This match remains like only match of cricket to end in an interesting tie after given over.
Well-Known Centuries At The stadium Of Eden Gardens
In the year of 1948, the W.I. everton weekes scored the first century. The total test centuries that have been made in this Eden Gardens are 68. The highest innings in test cricket match is made By Indian player VVS Laxman (scored 281) against the cricket team of Australia in the year of 2001 in this Eden Gardens. Rohan Kanhai made 256 runs, which is the highest score in test cricket at this renowned ground in the year of 1958. The highest test centuries at this ground is scored by former Indian cricket captain Mohammad Azharuddin, who made total five centuries at this ground. The highest ODI innings at Eden Gardens is made by renowned Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir, who made 150 in the year of 2009 against the cricket team of Sri Lanka.