Search Indian Maps, Pincodes, Local Info and more...
Karnataka M Chinnaswamy Stadium
This stadium is bordered by a picturesque that is known by the name of Cubbon Park located at Queen’s road which is associated with Cubbon as well as uptown Mahatma Gandhi road. This stadium is forty years old and is placed at the centre of the Bangalore city. In earlier times it was called as the stadium for Karnataka cricket association (also termed as K.S.C.A.).Later on the ground was rechristened in the memory of M.Chinnaswamy who looked after K.S.C.A. continuously for forty years and also became the leader of the controlling authority for Cricket across India (also known as B.C.C.I) starting from the year 1977 till 1980.The seating facility of this stadium is 55,000 and it does not organizes test crickets, superlative cricket tournaments as well as O.D.I.’s on regular basis. Several intellectual and musical events are also conducted there. This stadium also serves as the home land for the cricket team of Karnataka along with the franchise of the Premier league of India popularly known as Royal Challengers. It is managed by the Karnataka Government and is rented out for a period of 99 years to the Karnataka Cricket association.
The Karnataka government has offered a generous support and this stadium was initiated during the year 1969 while the building work began in the year 1970.This stadium was initially used for supreme matches that were played in the years 1972 as well as 1973.It helped in earning test ranking in the years 1974 and 1975 when the players of West Indies came on a tour to India.
The foremost match was played in the stadium on 22nd November, 1974 and continued till 29th November. By the way it was actually a debut match that was played among cricket giants Viv Richards with Gordon Greenidge who were from West Indies team. Clive Lloyd was the leader of the West Indies team who packed down Indian team that was led by M.K.Pataudi by a huge edge of two hundred fifty six runs. India won its first test match on this field against English team that was looked after by Tony Greig during the year 1976 and 1977.The foremost One day international was played at this location on September, 6, 1982. SriLanka lost and India declared a win by 6 wickets.
Installation of floodlights in this stadium was done during the year 1996 when the Wills Global cup was organized. The primary match that was played here was organized beneath the lights and it was a quarter-final fight among both the rivals Pakistan as well as India. This match took place on March, 9, 1996 and Pakistan got defeated while Indian won by thirty nine runs in a breathtaking encounter. The third test contest among India and Pakistan took place in the year 2007 in which a leading partnership of 300 runs was maintained by Yuvraj Singh as well as Sourav Ganguly defending from 61 for 4 breaking numerous records. The runs that India made were 365 for 5 which were the topmost one day score across India. The partnership of 300 runs was the highest in that stadium as well as the utmost partnership by a left-handed batsman. The highest score that was made by left-handed Sourav Ganguly was 239 runs.
The B.C.C.I. decided to select Bangalore as a hub for national cricket during the year 2000.Countless upcoming cricketers have qualified from this academy that has been created over this field. The stadium was used as the site for Miss World show that was planned for the year 1996.The Karnataka cricket association has now planned to enhance the number of seats in this stadium so that it can accommodate up to 70,000 people. After the commencement of the Indian Premier league, it has now become the housing field of the franchise team of Bangalore which is known by the name of Royal Challengers. The looks of the stadium have been changed completely regarding the primary season of the Indian Premier League. The painting of the stadium was done with yellow as well as red colors which mark the colors of the Royal challenger’s team. The Flag of Karnataka also comprises of the same colors.
A wall has been constructed at the entry of this stadium for paying an honor to R. Dravid as he is popularly known as the barrier of cricket team of India. Carvings along with the cricket data of Rahul Dravid have been mentioned over the walls. As per the plans, a museum will be built near the stadium.
Anil Kumble, Venkatesh Prasad, Rahul Dravid as well as Javagal Srinath belong to this place only and are operating as management in charge and also take part actively for improving the condition of this stadium.
This place not only holds various cricket matches but has also been linked with large and small events that are organized in Bangalore as well as other parts of India.
How To Approach
The distance between the stadium as well as railway station is nearly 8 kilometers. As a result, the best medium available is the trains. You can also choose some short routes for reaching there; on the other hand if a person opts to go through bus then the total time needed for reaching Chinnaswamy stadium is more than an hour. Subsequently in that case, an individual is required to take a walk beginning from the railway junction in order to get a city bus. A person can also keep a track of the road that is in parallel to the station; use the flyover from where he must go down straightaway.
After a person reaches the Cubbon Park he is needed to go towards the left from where he can get a city bus easily. Individuals can also take a taxi on rent for reaching the stadium.
The Intercontinental airport of Bangalore is positioned closely as compared to the Chinnaswamy stadium. A person can use an auto or a taxi for reaching the stadium. An individual can also take a walk till the infantry street from where he can inquire someone to tell the way from that place.
Eminent Events Organized At The Chinnaswamy Sports Ground
Records Made During The Test Matches
- Topmost total score of the innings: 626 runs in which the players of India were all out. The match was held between India and Pakistan. It was the third test match played in Bangalore. The match commenced from 8th December, 2007 and lasted till 12th December. Pakistan was at the second topmost position with a score of 570 runs however their players were all out during the match that was played in the year 2005.India was at the third topmost position with a scoring of 541 runs for 6 in opposition to Sri Lanka during the year 1994.
- Maximum individual scoring was 267 runs that were made by Younis khan who belonged to the Pakistani team during a match played between India and Pakistan. The matches were played during 24th March 2005 till 28th March, 2005.
- The most excellent bowling of the innings was thrown by Maninder Singh. He gave 7 runs for 27 balls during a match played between India and Pakistan. The matches were played during 13th March 1987 till 17th March, 1987.
- Majority of the runs were made by Sachin Tendulkar while batting in the field. He scored a total of 825 runs. Sunil Gavaskar also followed him and scored 625 runs while Sourav Ganguly scored 503 runs.
- Majority of the wickets were taken over by A.Kumble in that stadium. He took a total of 41 wickets. Harbhajan Singh also followed him and took 30 wickets while Kapil Dev took 27 wickets.
Match Records Of The O.D.I.’s
- Maximum total was 347 runs for 2 wickets during the match played between India and Australia on 12th November, 2003.The 2nd as well as the 3rd topmost runs were tied for three hundred thirty eight during the match played among India and England.
- Maximum runs that were pursued were 329 for 7 wickets. The score of Ireland was 329 runs in 295 balls while England scored 327 runs from 300 balls. The match was played on 2nd March, 2011.
- Maximum score made by an individual was 163 runs. Andrew Strauss was the person who scored these runs.
- Majority of the runs were made by Sachin Tendulkar. He scored a total of 534 runs. Virender Sehwag also followed him and scored 328 runs while Michael Clarke scored 238 runs.
- Majority of the wickets were taken over by Zaheer Khan. He took a total of 14 wickets. Javagal Srinath also followed him and took 10 wickets while Kapil Dev took 8 wickets.
World Cup Match Of Cricket
All O.D.I. matches related with the World cup have been hosted at this stadium. India has namely organized the world cup.