Search Indian Maps, Pincodes, Local Info and more...
Little Andaman Island
Andaman Island has group of islands in its circle of which the fourth largest is the Little Andaman Island which is spread over 734 sq. kms. It lies at the southern end of archipelago while is separated by Duncan passage from Rutland Island in Great Island of Andaman. The island is 120 kms from the southern tip of Port Blair and is very close to the Airport from where daily flights are functional for Chennai and Calcutta. This place is home for the Onge aboriginal tribe that has been residing since 1957. Some settlers from Bengal and other places have also made this destination their home. Little Andaman offers impeccable exposure even when the weather is very silent and calm.
It has blend of white and silver sand beaches which are retreat for surfing, elephant calves training, elephant lumbering, elephant safari, boating and waterfalls. It has ever green forest which is rich in flora and fauna.
Ferry services start from Port Blair at different time intervals. Sea distance between Port Blair and Little Andaman Islands is 121 kilometres. At Port Blair, the ferries start from Hut Bay daily. There are two kinds of ferries which you can use for your travel.
- Speed boat – which takes 6 hours and costs INR 25 per person. It has plastic seats and is not suitable if the weather or sea is harsh.
- Slow/big ferry – which takes 8 to 8.5 hours and costs INR 55. The seating of such ferries is much comfortable and is perfect during harsh weather also.
You must have your tickets one day before your ride.
There are numerous economical places here. Most of the accommodations here are focussed on island’s main road. Jina resort – This resort is a good option for you to plan your stay. It has excellent and professional service while the environment is clean which makes you feel like home. There are small huts which are erected in circle enhancing the warm atmosphere. Finding competition to this place is impossible on the island. Food served here is best and is bought from different parts of India. They permit bike ride by paying rent and have best steam fish served in banana leaf. Blue view – This accommodation is operated and administered by accommodating, friendly and charming baba. There is a row which has three huts. It offers excellent and economical services which make the tourists comfortable. Hotels or resorts here do not serve alcohol, so you need to have your stock with you if you want to indulge in drinking.
Events / Festivals in Little Andaman Island
Little Andaman doesn’t have festival celebration of its own but shares the same as are celebrated in Port Blair. The most popular one is the Yearly Island Tourism Festival which hosts numerous water sports competition, cultural performances and exhibitions. This festival is held for 10 days. Besides this festival, you can be active participant of the Vivekananda Mela and the Subhash Mela.
Places to Visit in Little Andaman Island
Little Andaman Island welcomes tourists that want to elope from their monotonous and boring life so as to enjoy the exquisiteness of the beaches, green symphony of nature and sandy shore. Based in south Andaman Island, this destination has numerous attractions for the tourists.
- White Surf Waterfalls – These waterfalls are based in mid of the tropical forest. This region is perfect for elephant safari too
- Dams (Vivekanandapuram and Ramakrishnapur) – These dams are yet not much explored by the tourists yet they have potential for becoming prime attractions
- Netaji Nagar Beach – This is an interesting beach which is based along the road of the village
- Butler Bay Beach – This beach is virgin or unsoiled beach which has sandy shore. It has numerous stylish cottages for the tourists to stay at economical prices
- Bala Reef – This is best suited for the people that want to indulge in water sports like scuba diving
- Palm Oil Plantation – This covers major part of the island
- Wisper Wave Waterfalls – Best Waterfall on the island
Enjoy the pristine beaches which offer rejuvenation and tranquillity.
Climate of Little Andaman Island
The weather in Little Andaman islands is tropical which means that it is hot in the summers. The summers are accompanied by humid and hot waves. However the evenings turn out to be pleasant and welcoming.
Best Time to Visit Little Andaman Island
Though the island can be visited during any part of the year, yet it is best to visit here during the months of November, December, January and March. The weather during these days is splendid and worth enjoying the serene views of the island.
How to Reach Little Andaman Island
Government runs ferries for the tourists. There are different kinds of ferries which are available. However the journey time is stretched from 6 to 9 hours. One needs to be patient to opt for this. However there are helicopter and flight services available too from different parts of India till Port Blair. From here you will need to travel by sea route.