Search Indian Maps, Pincodes, Local Info and more...
Car Nicobar Island
Based in Northernmost part of the Nicobar Islands, Car Nicobar is popular local administrative division which is significant part of Indian UT. The island became point of attraction and in news when it got ravaged by tsunami in year 2004. The island is exceptionally flat, even though it has some cliffs in northern region and tiny hilly areas in its interior.
The island is surrounded by silver and white sand which is fertile in some parts especially the interiors. There is enchanting aura and palm trees around the island. Though the island is small, it has population of 4314 which is distributed in 15 villages. If soil analysis is believed, the clay and sand hinders the cultivation and growth of agriculture crops. Still the majority of island is ideal of cultivation of arecanut and coconut crops which are its major products.
Ferry of inter-island water facilities is managed by the administration of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The ferries run from Port Blair to different other islands together with different other ports like Baratang, Kadamtala, Rangat and Havelock etc. The distance between Port Blair and Car Nicobar Island is 274 kilometres.
Car Nicobar Island has no private lodges or hotels for tourist to stay. One would have to book a government rest house much in advance in Port Blair. There are other islands which support accommodation facilities. Infact there are non star and star hotels which meet the needs of the tourists that are on their visit to Nicobar Islands. Some of the popular hotels, near Car Nicobar Islands are Turtle Resort, Hawbill Nest and Andaman Teal House.
Since Car Nicobar is a tourist attraction, it has government run small guest house, where you can have your stay, however the facilities offered at the guest house are not upto the expectations. In Port Blair, you would find luxury as well as premium and budgeted hotels for a comfortable and convenient stay. People who are big time foodie must try the popular eating places around Car Nicobar for tempting and relishing multi cuisines – Corbyn’s Delight Bar, Vishranti, Wild Grass Restaurant and Mandalay Restaurant and Nico Bar.
Events / Festivals in Car Nicobar Island
Car Nicobar Island has its exceptional tradition and folk culture which has distinctive pattern of the cultural music and dances. The special events, occasions and festivals on this island are celebrated with much enthusiasm and excitement. These are Subhash Mela and Island Tourism Festival. The Island Tourism Festival – this is one of the mega events which is celebrated by localities of the island for continuous ten days. This festival is mainly celebrated on start of the winter season and has potential of attracting large crowd of tourists from different parts of the world. Infact tourists make it a point to make it to this festival during their holidays.
Subhash Mela – Another popularly celebrated festival of Car Nicobar. This festival is celebrated in January every year and extends till one week. This mela marks the birthday of our freedom fighter Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. Numerous programmes are held on this event.
Places to Visit in Car Nicobar Island
Car Nicobar has numerous attractions for the tourists. Some of the popular places to visit are:
- Barren Island – Popular for being single active volcano of South Asia, which is a tiny island above 300 meters of sea level. Wild goats are found here in good number and they survive by drinking salt water.
- Havelock Island – Exquisite place for your vacations. This destination is perfect to unwind and relax. You would find it inhabited by Bengalis mainly and is ideal for people who wish in engaging in snorkelling, surfing, camping, swimming, beachcombing and sunbathing.
- Baratang Island – Popular destination based in close proximity to Port Blair. It is popular amongst the tourists.
- Samudrika Marine Museum – This museum was erected to spread awareness on numerous regions of oceanic environment. It has five parts which deals with the marine life, archaeology, geographical information, people and history of Andaman Islands.
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park – Also known as Wandoor Marine National Park, this destination is great attraction here. Infact it has best scuba diving facility here.
- Corbyn Cove – Based in Andaman Island, this is a quiet and clean beach popular for its huge sea and flourishing green coconut palms. There are numerous water sports activities like boating, surfing and scuba diving which provide everlasting memorable experience.
Climate of Car Nicobar Island
Car Nicobar has tropical weather which means it is pleasant in winters and hot in summers. Summer Season – The summers are very moderately humid and hot. They last from April to July where the mercury touches 20 to 30 degrees. However the evenings are accompanied with relaxing and cool breeze which lifts up the mood. Winter Season – The start of winter season is from November and it continues till February. With pleasant weather all days, these months are considered best as the island becomes perfect to plan your trip.
Best Time to Visit Car Nicobar Island
If you want to live your memories at the Car Nicobar Islands, you must plan your trip from November to April, as the climate remains very pleasant. This makes the tourist’s holiday experience the best.
How to Reach Car Nicobar Island
Car Nicobar is very well connected via air to some prominent cities of India. Infact there are regular flights from Chennai, New Delhi and Kolkata. The nearby airport is the Car Nicobar Airport which is Air Force base.